Dental Veneers Auckland for Chipped, Stained and Discoloured Teeth.
What are Dental Veneers?
- A veneer is a permanent change used to correct tooth imperfections, such as stained or chipped teeth. Veneers are thin porcelain or composite resin coverings that are bonded to the front surface of a tooth using dental cement.
Can I just have teeth whitening instead for my stained teeth?
- Yes, you can! If you are a patient that does not have sensitive teeth and are happy with the shape of your teeth, then whitening your teeth is all that you may need.
- This is where a professional opinion can help you decide if this is the best solution for you or not.
- However, Veneers will whiten and strengthen the appearance of your teeth but will also correct other minor cosmetic issues such as cracked or chipped teeth and CAN give you the WOW smile you have always wanted.
- Porcelain Veneers are an excellent option for those whose teeth are deeply discoloured and therefore resistant to whitening treatments.
Are Veneers always the best solution for a chipped tooth?
- Not necessarily! Depending on the extent of the damage of the tooth Porcelain or composite Veneers will not only repair chipped teeth, but they can also disguise gaps, imperfect and crooked or stained teeth, and improve your appearance.
How long do veneers last?
- Porcelain veneers will last approximately 10-20 years, provided they are well cared for with good oral hygiene practice. They have been known to last longer, as individual cases may vary.
Can I get 1 veneer?
- Yes, some people may only get one veneer in the case of a broken or chipped tooth, but many people get between six to eight veneers to create an even, symmetrical smile, depending on the patients needs.
Do Veneers Ruin your teeth?
- No, porcelain veneers should not ruin your natural teeth, they are a treatment option to strengthen your teeth and enhance your smile.
- The first step to understanding that veneers do not hurt or ruin your real teeth is to understand how they work, which would be explained at your visit with the dentist.
- When you meet with the dentist for porcelain veneers, they would discuss options for how you have always wanted your perfect smile to be, to try and meet your expectations.
Are Veneers painful?
- NO, every phase of the veneer procedure should be comfortable and pain-free.
- The removal of a very thin layer of enamel can create sensitivity, so when the tooth is prepared, the area will be numbed, just like when having a cavity filled, but, veneers are a treatment option to ADD back what you have lost over the years.
Types of Veneers; Porcelain Veneers vs Composite Veneers
- Composite veneers can be placed directly onto teeth where dentists can then sculpt them to match the look of the natural tooth underneath. In the case of direct composite veneers, resin is used to match teeth and a high-intensity light is used to harden the material. The benefit to composite veneers is that resin is much cheaper than porcelain, meaning the overall cost of the procedure will be much lower. On average, composite veneers cost about half as much as porcelain veneers.
- Composite veneers can also be made same-day since the material is sculpted directly onto teeth instead of at an out-of-office lab.
- Porcelain veneers tend to be more expensive, but for good reason; they are much more durable than composite resin, and because they are less porous, they will not stain or chip over time as easily. Composite veneers that are well maintained can usually last between five and seven years before needing replacement. Porcelain veneers, on the other hand, can easily last for a decade or more. Additionally, porcelain veneers have a more authentic look due to their translucent quality, which resembles tooth enamel.
Here at Natural Smile Eastmed Dental in St Heliers we provide same day veneers for Auckland patients.